I attended last thurday the ninth UNGIWG plenary meeting and presented together with Luc St-Pierre the new UNHCR web GIS application. This web mapping solution is developped on MapFish and has several interesting technical characteristics:
- Authentification layer to define rights
- Offline mode to allow offline edit (with gears)
- Attributive and geographic editions of camp maps
- Combination with geonetwork to access metadata
- Usage of Spatial data integrator (SDI) to manage data and metadata
But I think that the most important thing is the fact that this application is an instanciation of the new GIS trend which implies community and sharing. Everybody can now acquire data and the future is clearly the mutualisation of efforts and the sharing of data.